inspired by earthmother i made raw donuts for us. with a filling made from soaken dried plums, blended to jam … but we ended up spreading the donuts because the jam was much better 😉
- greens. must-have. i cannot get along without. basically wild greens. now, in winter, blackberry leaves & lots of spinache. curly kale. sometimes rocket and field salad.
- fruit. seasonal choice. as fresh as possible! organic, of course. & as much ripe tropical fruit as we can get. papaya & ananas are our favorites these days. oranges & apples are basics, too. i usually buy them by crate at the central market. fruit & greens make up about 90% of our food
- avocados – our basic fatty fruit. best are avocado hass from kurt dornhoff (portugal) – in season now!
- coconuts. ripe or young. best drink & yummy pulp. i can never get enough of them. i could live on coconut, banana & greens for weeks.
- tomatoes. we eat them fresh in summer & make tomato sauce from dried ones during the rest of the year.
- sunflower seeds for my daughter … she is eating at least a pound a week.
- algae. dried wakame or, even better, fresh fucus. rich in minerals, salty taste & a wonderful replacement for (or addition to) fresh greens.
- vegetables. seasonal choice. we do not eat a lot of vegetables but there is always something fresh in the fridge. both kids love cucumber & bell pepper. turnip cabbage for m. me, i lately like fennel, broccoli & sweet potato.
- almonds & dates. our candy, especially in winter. just eat them as they are or for nice treats like marzipan e. g.
- red lentils for the kids. m. likes them raw, sprouted, with cashew dressing. j. prefers his vegan (cooked) lasagna (lentils, carrots, oat-cream, pasta)
curly kale with apple, date & beetroot-avocado-dip – yummy!
actually i am giving thanks for harvested fruit & vegetables for months now … universe really cares for us 🙂
last week i found by chance that organic apples sometimes are treated with 50° C hot water to make them better suitable for storage 😮 – what a shock! i instantly sent a mail to the farmer to express my concern about this & to ask for details. they rang me up & we had an interesting talk. in the end they asked me to come & pick some apples myself. and so we did – this afternoon 🙂
went to the isemarkt today, first (but surely not last!) time this year. the best place to buy low priced, untreated, fresh & really tasty blueberries, raspberries, cherries …
thanks to ramona‘s mom for this great & yummy surprise!
cucumber, carrots, peas, kohlrabi (m. loves it! and it’s the lilac one – did she know it’s m.’s favourite color?) & bishop’s weed, orache, chickweed 🙂
today’s breakfast for my little one … inspired by a receipt in one of her favorite magazines (prinzessin lillifee). they called it “feensäckchen” and of course it was a cooked dish … ours’ was raw & vegan.
raw pancake (banana and ground almonds), filled with strawberries. the pink dip consists of banana and strawberry, the chocolate dip is made of banana, carob and coconut oil. she loved it!
the only thing missing is the colourful m&m’s they used in the original receipt. i have not found a way to create a raw replacement for them. so if you have any ideas please let me know!
yesterday i picked the first wild greens this year … very small, it took me half an hour to collect a handful, but hmmm, how yummy & energizing! i found dandelion, goutweed, pilewort, garlic mustard & stinging nettle. made a nice dinner, together with a big bowl of winter purslane & a mango.